Before we started our Halloween festivities Friday night, we headed to the pumpkin patch that the Child Development Center set up (which is right down the street from our house) because my friend Lori offered to take pictures of all the kids. Of course we had to go! First off was pictures in the hay.

Ashlyn wasn't fond of the hay. Lori calls this the "No, really, why am I sitting in hay?" shot. :) I really like the pumpkin shot, though.

SHE'S SO CUTE!!! *ahem* I mean, isn't she a sweet little princess? And here's a picture of all the kids that came for the photo session.

Friday night we had plans to go to the Fall Festival at the elementary school. Last year we went and it was a lot of fun. That's where Ashlyn won Cutest Costume. Well, we had to go so Ashlyn could keep her title, right? Well, it wasn't very well organized this year. The air conditioner wasn't on and they had the doors open to air it out. It didn't help and it just let all the bugs in. I don't even think they had the costume contest at all. We had some food, tried the cake walk once, and left. The library was having a Halloween party a short time after the Fall Festival started so we headed over there. It was pretty much story time that we go to every Friday morning but Halloween themed. The kids were dressed up, there was a not-so-scary story, cake, juice, and a goody bag. Ashlyn had a lot of fun.
Saturday morning came and we went back to the pumpkin patch. They were having a bunch of activities. There was a hay ride that we took that just went through our neighborhood. They also had story time for the kids on and off the whole time. We went for the first reading, but Ashlyn started telling us she was hungry so we left to sit down and have a snack. We were too busy after that to go try again. There were too many fun things! Besides running around the pumpkins, Ashlyn made her own!
She colored a paper bag (I made the face and Aaron helped her make it look like a pumpkin) and we stuffed it with plastic bags and tied it with yarn. I think it's beautiful! :)
They also had another craft, but it was painting a spiderweb on a paper plate by rolling a marble around. Seemed like too messy a project to attempt at that time. ;) So we headed to the playdough table. We recently got her some playdough that came with a roller and cutters and stuff and she loves it so we knew she'd have fun.
One of her favorite things to do at the pumpkin patch was playing in the sand! She didn't like to touch it because, well, she doesn't like getting dirty very much! haha But she loved digging through with the shovel and finding the little rubbery worms they hid in there and whatnot.
Aaron also took a cute picture of Ashlyn and me.
And everyone who went was able to pick out a pumpkin for free and take it home! We left after a couple of hours. We had grocery shopping and a nap to take care of before the big night. The powers that be decided that trick-or-treating would go on Saturday night instead of Halloween night, since Halloween was on a school night. :( I wasn't exactly thrilled about that, but oh well. We met up with another family on our way.
It was fun to watch Ashlyn go up and get candy. Last year she couldn't walk so she was in her stroller the whole time. This year we only put her in her stroller for the stretch between our house and where most of the houses that were passing out candy were so her little legs wouldn't get tired. Then at the end right before we headed home, she asked to sit in it. She was all worn out! She wouldn't say trick-or-treat, but she told everyone "thank you" and when people would tell her "Happy Halloween" she would say "Halloween!" It was really cute.
There were even one or two places that were "scary" and she did really well. One in particular was a little creepy and Ashlyn hesitated a little, but was very brave and went almost all the way up to it. haha Aaron had to grab the candy for her, but she did walk up to it. I was very proud of her.
There were a lot less kids out this year for some reason. We had a lot of people move off island recently and a lot move on, but maybe we just lost a lot of the trick-or-treat age kids. I don't know. I don't think the candy we left out was touched at all! But that's why we didn't buy much. Despite not many kids out (and not as many people giving out candy as last year), Ashlyn got a pretty good amount of candy.
Which means I'll be looking for recipes using leftover Halloween candy or Aaron will be taking some to work in a month or so. haha We didn't do much on Halloween since trick-or-treating was a night early. We made a Halloween themed dinner, but that was about it. We mainly relaxed. We hope you all had a fun, spooky Halloween!
I was wondering what happened to your Disney posts but I didn't want to keep bugging you about them. *lol* I'm glad you guys are starting to feel better again!
ReplyDeleteYou guys had a lot of fun last weekend! The pictures that your friend took turned out awesome! Ashlyn is such a cutie.
I totally want to steal Ashlyn's Mickey pumpkin! That is the cutest Halloween bucket ever!